Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. Arthritis is a major cause of lost work time and serious disability for many people. Although arthritis is mainly a disease of adults, children may also have it. Arthritis causes pain, red and warm skin around the joint, stiffness and swelling of the joint. Some types of arthritis may cause deformation of the joint. There are different types of arthritis, depending on its cause such as: osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, infectious arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and gout. Some types of arthritis can also cause problem in other organs such as eyes, skin.
- Autoimmune disease
- Fracture of a bone
- General wear and tear of the joints
- Infection (viral or bacterial)
- Advancing age
- Previous injury
- Poor posture
- Overuse of the joint
The goal of physiotherapy is to reduce swelling and pain, improve movement and strengthen the muscles.
- Range of motion exercises to improve
- Posture and gait analysis
- Education about performing daily activities that are the less stressful to joints